One of the most popular flowers for tattoo is lotus. This hardy flower is gorgeous and unique. It has some kind of the dual nature, combining a great power and at the same time tenderness.
Lotus tattoos are very meaningful, as the flower is associated with East culture and its incredible devotion to the depth and eternity of sacramental inner world. Obviously, the sketches of lotus tattoos differ in styles and places of attachment, but usually a variety of colors and tints emphasize the identity of it.
Who makes lotus tattoos?
Considering the duality of the image of lotus, it makes sense to say that this flower is suitable both for men and women. Two-faced nature is also in the peculiarities of growing of the plant: the roots of it are deeply in the water, but its petals loft directly to the sun. Therefore, this can also say a lot about the person, who bears such a tattoo. If you feel the unity of light and darkness or other opposing principles in yourself, this tattoo is for you.
Moreover, it is a symbol of the rich spirituality, chastity and purity. The meaning of the lotus is also a desire to understand the beauty and immortality of the nature; it symbolizes the harmony, combining two opposites complementing each other. In general, this flower keeps a positive energy and vitality. This is a powerful symbol with rich historical past.
Meaning of lotus tattoo
- Spiritual growth. In Eastern religions such as Buddhism and Hinduism, the flower carries the meaning of enlightenment or spiritual awakening. People, who admire this plant, strive to rise above the gray everyday life like this wonderful flower strives to grow in a bog. They try to grow mentally and see the divine light.
- Wisdom. It also personifies the intelligence light, clear mind and deep thoughts. All this comes to a man with ages, if he or she worked hard on self-improvement and developing knowledge.
- Female principle. In India, this unique flower is also a symbol of fertility. In this case, its delicate petals are depicted in the form of a bowl. This meaning incorporates the feminine softness, purity and origin of new life.
- Harmony. Everyone knows the yoga posture of lotus. It is this posture that symbolizes the inner forces, energy and hard balance. As a symbol of Yin-Yang it also means the unity of bright and dark beginnings, good and evil, male and female energies.
Meaning of lotus in different cultures
Lotus flower is represented in the beliefs of different civilizations and cultures – from ancient times to the present day.
According to a legend, Buddha was born from the lotus. This flower can serve as a throne for meditation in images of Buddhist monks and White Tara. Therefore, it is closely connected with divinity in Buddhism and Hinduism.
In today’s society a growing interest to the flower can be demonstrated by the numerous photos of lotus as the art object: in paintings, decorative items, figurines, as well as tattoos.
Lotus in different cultures:
- In ancient Egypt, the flower was a symbol of the highest intelligence, when pictured together with the deity of the sun.
- In Assyrian and Phoenician cultures, the lotus was a symbol of eternal life.
- In Japan, it carries the meaning of chastity and purity.
- In the tradition of the ancient Mayan tribes lotus flower was presented as a symbolic image of the material world and our planet Earth.
- In Tibet, it is ascribed the meaning of a secret knowledge keeper.
Body parts for lotus tattoo
As it has been mentioned, lotus tattoo is suitable for boys and girls. However, the places for its attachment differ depending on the sex of its bearer. Men choose shoulder, back or neck to depict the flower.
Styles of lotus tattoo
Male and female lotus tattoos also differ in their design. In the case of male variant, lotus is portrayed more brutal, with masculine features, clear lines and colors, strict form of petals and leaves.
Sketches of lotus tattoos are often made in color with lot of tints to embody the specialty of the flower, but monochrome versions are also possible.
Lotuses are depicted in realism, watercolor, neo-traditional or graphic style. Both men and women combine the flower with the image of Buddha.
Celebrities’ lotus tattoos
Malin Akerman, raised Buddhist, has a large lotus flower and a Tibetan Sanskrit message which reads “to play” inked on the upper part of her back.
Katy Perry has a small lotus flower on her wrist.
Ellie Goulding has a tattoo of lotus flower on her ribcage.
Debra Wilson has a lotus flower tattoo on her abdomen.